Decision Maker: Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To inform the Committee of recent work and
events at the Crematorium.
The Assistant Director – Commercial Services presented a report on matters relating to the operation of the Crematorium. Information on cremations carried out during 2018/19, together with comparisons and trends from previous years was provided.
The report informed the Committee that the refurbishment of the staff mess room had been completed following a delay caused by asbestos. The committee was advised that a full asbestos survey would be undertaken to identify any further potential hidden costs.
It was highlighted that the ride-on mower needed replacing to avoid potential repair bills and impact on the standard of grounds maintenance.
The Assistant Director – Commercial Services explained that there had been a 70% increase in Public Health Funerals nationally. Accurate figures for the area covered by the crematorium were not available as Chesterfield Royal Hospital was using a different service provider and their data had not been obtained at that time. Conversations were ongoing with the hospital in order to provide cremation services to them.
The Committee were advised that the fixed term contract of the Bereavement Services Assistant would need to be extended by 5 months to complete the entry of the remaining cremation register records onto the digital BACAS Administrative System.
1. That the summary of cremation statistics be noted.
2. That the decision to purchase a replacement ride-on mower from the Capital Reserves be approved.
3. That the post of Bereavement Services Assistant be extended by 5 months to August 2019. The cost of the extension would be covered by the surplus created by vacant salaries.
REASON FOR DECISION –
1. To keep the Joint Committee informed of matters relating to the operation of the Crematorium.
2. To purchase a new mower to ensure the maintenance of the Crematorium Grounds to their current standard.
3. To extend the temporary position of Bereavement Services assistant for a further 5 months to complete the project of data entry of cremation records.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Ross Fawbert Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report author: Ross Fawbert
Publication date: 17/12/2018
Date of decision: 17/12/2018
Decided at meeting: 17/12/2018 - Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee