Decision Maker: Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To seek approval for implementation of fees
and charges for the Crematorium for 2019/20.
The Assistant Director – Commercial Services presented a report recommending for approval a proposed increase in the Crematorium fees and charges for 2019.
The report provided a detailed service analysis, which included a benchmarking exercise with other local authorities across Derbyshire. The review identified that Chesterfield Crematorium had the second lowest basic fee of the nine crematoria that were looked at.
The Committee was informed of the improvement work that had taken place over the last 12 months and the need to build a reserve to cover the cost of replacement cremators that are half way through their life expectancy.
It was noted that there has been recent scrutiny nationally of funeral costs and that consideration of cost pressures to the general public had been taken into account when proposing the amendments to fees.
1. That a 2.75% increase on the Current Band B Charge for 2019 be approved, to be reviewed from 1st January 2020.
2. That there would be no increase on the Current Band A Charge.
3. That there would be no increase in the charges for memorialisation and miscellaneous items.
REASON FOR DECISION –
1. To secure sufficient funds to; maintain a high level of standards for the bereaved, reach a balanced budget, maintain sufficient reserve levels and meet budget pressures in 2019.
2. To provide an affordable option for cremation for all.
3. To continue to provide affordable options to commemorate within the grounds of the crematorium at a time when national trends show a decline in remains leaving the Crematorium.
Reason Key: Decision which would result in a saving of £50,000 or more to any budget head;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Ross Fawbert Email: email@example.com.
Report author: Ross Fawbert
Publication date: 17/12/2018
Date of decision: 17/12/2018
Decided at meeting: 17/12/2018 - Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee