Decision Maker: Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
The Assistant Director – Commercial Services presented a report on matters relating to the operation of the Crematorium.
It was noted that there was an opportunity to claim back the cost of a child’s burial or cremation costs from the Child Funeral Fund for England. The Bereavement Services Manager intended to seek advice from the Institute of Crematorium and Cemetery Management on the matter. The committee agreed that the Bereavement Services Manager be given delegated authority to apply for this funding without delay.
The committee heard a recommendation from the recent internal audit regarding the Bereavement Services Manager having the prerogative to discount fees and charges where necessary in the form of compensation where the expected service has not been provided. It was agreed that this authorisation should be given to the Bereavement Services Manager, for compensation up to the cost of the cremation.
1. That the report be noted.
2. That the Bereavement Services Manager be given delegated authority to go ahead and claim costs from the government’s Child Funeral Fund for England (CFF) for child burials or cremations.
3. That the committee grant delegated authority to the Bereavement Services Manager discount fees and charges when necessary in the form of compensation up to the value of the Cremation Fee.
REASON FOR DECISION –
1. To ensure Members are informed of matters relating to the management of the Crematorium.
2. To continue to provide an affordable option for cremation for all.
3. To ensure that the Crematorium satisfied the internal audit recommendations following its assessment in June 2019.
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Ross Fawbert Email: email@example.com.
Report author: Ross Fawbert
Publication date: 30/09/2019
Date of decision: 23/09/2019
Decided at meeting: 23/09/2019 - Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee