Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
The Project Delivery Manager presented a report seeking approval to enter into a collaboration agreement with Derbyshire County Council in order to deliver Phase 1 of the Hollis Lane Link Road, supporting the delivery of the Chesterfield Railway Station Master Plan and the council’s strategic growth objectives. The report also sought approval for the provision of capital expenditure to fund the project, along with funding from Derbyshire County Council and D2N2.
The Link Road would create a new piece of highway infrastructure, incorporating a cycle way and pedestrian footpath, linking the A632 Hollis Lane to Chesterfield town centre via Malkin Street and Brewery Street and passing through the station forecourt. This would allow traffic to gain access to the station area without passing through the town centre, improving traffic flow and the town centre environment.
Councillor Holmes requested that his vote against the recommendation at paragraph 2.4 of the officer’s report be recorded.
1. That the Council enters into a collaboration agreement with Derbyshire County Council, on the terms set out within the officer’s report, to enable delivery of Phase 1 of the Hollis Lane Link Road.
2. That the Council commits capital expenditure, in accordance with the terms of the collaboration agreement, to enable the project to be delivered and that the expenditure be met through prudential borrowing and fully financed from the Council’s Markham Vale Enterprise Zone Retained Business Rates reserve.
3. That the Service Director – Economic Growth, in consultation with the Leader of the Council and the Cabinet Member for Economic Growth, be granted delegated authority to deliver in full the Council’s obligations as set out in the collaboration agreement.
4. That, in accordance with paragraph 14.15 of the Council's Scrutiny Procedure Rules, it be determined that the recommendations at paragraphs 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 of the officer’s report constitute an urgent decision exempt from call-in for scrutiny by urgency as the legal documentation consequent to these recommendations needs to be in place as soon as practicable after Cabinet approval.
REASONS FOR DECISIONS
1. To ensure the delivery of Phase 1 of the Hollis Lane Link Road, a critical element in the delivery of the Chesterfield HS2 Station Masterplan. The Masterplan is a significant project in Chesterfield’s Growth Strategy.
2. The Chesterfield HS2 Station Masterplan will produce significant economic growth outcomes for the Borough. These outcomes will not be possible without delivery of the Hollis Lane Link Road, which is critical to unlocking new development opportunities.
Reason Key: Decision to spend £100,000 or more from an approved budget;
Wards Affected: St. Leonard's;
Report author: Neil Johnson
Publication date: 02/02/2021
Date of decision: 02/02/2021
Decided at meeting: 02/02/2021 - Cabinet