Pursuant to Cabinet Minute No.71 the Director of Finance and Resources submitted a report seeking approval for the Council Tax Support Scheme to be applied in 2019/20. The report noted that the scheme being recommended for adoption in respect of the next financial year (2019/20) was unchanged from that operated in 2018/19.
1. That Council approve the continued operation of a Local Council Tax Support Scheme for 2019/20. The scheme was based on The Council Tax Reduction Scheme England Regulations 2012 amended to reflect the following local decisions concerning the key principles of the scheme:
· For those of working age the maximum amount of Council Tax that will be eligible for reduction is 91.5% of their full Council Tax Liability;
· The Council continues its policy of disregarding war pensions for the purposes of calculating income in respect of the Council Tax Support Scheme;
· The ‘taper’, i.e. the rate at which support is withdrawn as income increases be maintained at 20%.
2. That delegated powers be granted to the Director of Finance and Resources to update the 2019/20 scheme to reflect such up-ratings of premiums, allowances and non-dependent deductions as may be determined by the Department of Work and Pensions, and for other minor technical changes which may be required.
3. That the current local council tax discounts, which had originally been implemented in 2013/14, as outlined in paragraph 3.4 of the officer’s report be continued.